Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Home Stretch

With the Preview Night less than a week away, this life-long dream of mine is just about a reality. I've never worked so hard (15-16 hour days), yet my energy and enthusiasm has been just about boundless. I couldn't be any more excited to see the gallery coming together.

Every day more artists are signing on and new work is arriving. We've only been in the space for a month now, but so much has happened that I feel like we've been working for 6 months. Just 4 weeks ago we had a long list of leasehold improvements and almost no contracts. Even 2 weeks ago I feared that we might be opening with blank spaces on the walls, or that no one would attend the opening events. Those fears have subsided now, as we've signed on plenty of artists, have gallery exhibits for both galleries booked out through May, and have over 100 guests confirmed for the Preview Night. Our first advertisements were printed this week and media coverage is gaining momentum for the coming weeks. By the time the Grand Opening rolls around on August 14, I hope operations will be smoothly sailing and we'll have a steady flow of daily customers.

There's still a very long to-do list for this week and we'll be soliciting a lot of helpers, but I know that by next Saturday evening, it will all get done and we'll officially open the doors for the first time. My anticipation for that evening is mounting and mixed with some fear and worries, but mostly astonishment that I have created this reality. I'm so grateful for the support and assistance of my friends and family, and especially thankful that I connected with such a sweet and wonderful partner, Mary Le.

No comments:

Post a Comment